Monday, May 24, 2010

Whiskey Rebel = WIN

Upon reviewing our collective previous entries, I have realized that while there has been a fair amount of conversation in this blog about the fact that Bartender is, well, a bartender, there has been little reference to my position as a therapist. While she may have her opinions about why I have waited for her to comment on this bar first, I can assert that the reason I have hesitated and wanted to wait to respond to her completely unjustified and dare I say irrational impression of Whiskey Rebel was because while we were at the bar it seemed that much of her objection to the bar could be explained psychologically. Please let me explain.


There are a couple of basic therapy concepts that are important to understand in order to fully understand this entry. The main one is countertransference. What this means is that if I am the therapist in a session with a client, and the client says something that makes me feel something (anger, sadness, "I REALLY NEED A DRINK") I need to determine if that is based on the relationship between the client and I in the here and now or if it is based on my own past issues that are springing up. The reason that I mention countertransference is because it is the only explanation of why Bartender was so anti this bar that makes any sense to me. We sat in the bar, enjoying the plentiful free popcorn, drinking cheap but delicious beer, and I looked at her and said "well, isn't this just lovely!" to which she paused and then said "...I'm giving this place a fail." I couldn't understand why! Seats at the bar! Free food and cheap alcohol! Nice, attractive bartender! Mellow tunes! A PATRON TEQUILLA DISPENSER! I'm sorry, but what's not to like? Apparently this bar reminded Bartender too much of the bar where spent 4 years of her bar working life until about three months ago. That was the only thing that she could come up with to say about this bar that was negative. Now here is where the psychological concept comes in. Is it fair to base an opinion of a current bar on a different bar that one has an emotional connection to? I don't think so. Do I walk into your Italian restaurant and tell you that I can't enjoy your penne ala vodka because I had a bad experience with penne ala vodka at some random spot in the East Village? NO! Because I can differentiate between what is happening now and what has psychologically scarred me before. (don't act like you haven't been damaged by a pasta dish, you're lying if you deny it. I'm looking at you, Italian place on 1st Ave that has since closed! That wasn't pasta, that was a lapse in judgment! SHAME.) Yet what is important for any decent therapist to keep in mind is when their opinions, perspectives, and biases make it unethical to work with a triggering client. Basically what I am saying is that Bartender is psychologically unfit to judge this establishment. And lets not forget that I'm a professional here, I know my shit.

For the record, there is never, EVER a single thing wrong with a $3 drink special that goes all night. Just because YOUR bar doesn't do that, Bartender, doesn't mean you need to hate on bars that do. It would appear your jealousy has gotten in your way. Strike two.


And I'm sorry, if the worst thing you have to say about a bar is that it's "unremarkable" I don't think that warrants a fail. The third issue that Bartender appeared to have was that the crowd was unpretty. Being that this was our third stop on this crawl, and the only win she's dispensed was at the bar with the flirtatious bartender, I'm sensing that there's a bit of favoritism towards the aesthetically pleasing. Not to mention that she even took the time in her post to hate on her own midwestern people! Projection much? Not that I saw any of those podunk people she stated were present in the bar. There just weren't very many attractive people, which apparently is a deal breaker for some. (::COUGH::BARTENDER::COUGH::) It is clear that my friend's perspective has been so clouded by her own past on this one that the only opinion you should be reading is what will follow:


Free popcorn. Fantastic. And we had about $70 worth with absolutely no objection from the bartender. Win.


$2 Stella and $3 Bud or Bud Light. Cheap alcohol? Yes please! WIN.


Spacious bar with plenty of tables and good music playing on the digital jukebox. GANAR!


Lets just leave it at this. Some expectations are irrationally high, others can appreciate the small pleasures of a nice, chill establishment that doesn't break the bank and coats the stomach with some free bar snacks. Boy, what a shitty place! NOT. Win.

1 comment:

  1. Chronic stress makes it almost impossible to cope with daily responsibilities, focus, or think clearly. You can get Online Therapy for Stress or an Online Counselling for Stress Management to cope up with your thoughts and balance your mind. Effective stress management helps you break the hold stress has on your life, so you can be happier, healthier, and more productive.

    ReplyDelete